Welcome

Good Gabble Newzine first started distribution around Australia in both hardcopy and e-newzine in February 2010. Each month Good Gabble celebrates all things positive. You can learn more about this innovative and exciting newzine and subscribe at http://goodgabble.blogspot.com. Join us on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Gabble-Newzine/255402333689?ref=mf

In March 2010 Good Gabble hit the road, being produced and published around Australia, whilst its founders spread the message of positivity and shared stories of the good nature of the Australian people and business's.

This is the adventure of one magazine, two co-founders and a family who had a dream of a world where positivity is the norm and the negativity of the mainstream media is long forgotten.

Here they share their journey. From the idea of a newzine, to the people they meet, the sites they see and the positivity they hear. This is the story of how one dream can change the lives of many and how a little positivity can create a chain of never ending hope.

Gabbling Around Australia - One Dream, One Goal, One Land.





Where have we been?

Sunday, July 4, 2010

'The Road To Positivity' - The Things We Take For Granted



This article was published in the July issue of Good Gabble Newzine.

 


For 32 years of my life I sat within the one area of Sydney. I went to school, got a job, married and had kids. Life was just life. The days came and went, the traffic drove past, the sun shone and the birds sang – without me even really taking any notice.

  I never realised how much I took my surroundings for granted until I left the comfort zone of the area I knew and spread my wings to the wider horizon. It was only then that I again began to look. I noticed, with awe, the changing colour of the trees, the ants that rushed by and the colours of the sun as it rose and set. For the first time I really listened. I heard the sounds of the birds, the scurrying of the lizards and running of a stream. I listened to what others had to say as I heard of their journeys and shared a yarn. I listened to the laughter of my children and the excitement in their voice as they discovered.

  I was reminded of this recently as we sat in a caravan park in Mt Gambier South Australia. We had been there for some weeks and had tired of the constant rain and dreary cold. The locals where quick to inform us that it is like that for 7 months of a year. We wondered how anyone could live in such depressing damp conditions.

  As we sat we noticed that more and more Queenslanders seemed to be pulling in. We scratched our head at this as by this stage we would have done anything to be in Queensland enjoying their sunshine and warmth. Why would anyone want to leave it behind to travel to a cold, wet climate.

  One misty morning as I stood outside my van I was approached by a gentleman who had stopped the night. He had come across to say hello and, being a dog lover, pat my Labrador. We began chatting about life on the road and what each was doing. Whilst we were discussing the set out of his camper I noticed he was a Queenslander. His wife came over just as I was asking the question that had been on our minds - “ Why do all Queenslanders come this way at this time of the year when it is so beautiful in their state.”

“Why look at these beautiful Autumn leaves” she said “We don't get Autumn like they do here in South Australia. It is just so beautiful to see and experience.”

What a logical answer. One that would have never crossed my mind.

  Our conversation soon lead to that of the lack of water restrictions in some areas of Australia and the wastage of water when others are in drought. My new friends commented that they had noticed that there were very few homes in Mt Gambier with water tanks. In an area of so much rain would it not make sense to utilise it to the fullest. It became obvious to us that most only care about that which they are at risk of loosing. They take what they have for granted  - when it is gone it is too late.

  It was this comment that made me realise that too many of us sit within our home state not really aware of what is around us. We
get hung up in the grind of day to day living and the familiarity of the environment and stop using our senses to their full potential. Do you know what colour the leaves in your backyard are at this time of the year? When was the last time you actually listened to the neighbours wind chime? Do the birds sing at your house?

  I first noticed the Autumn leaves within the caravan park when I arrived, collecting them and  pasting them on paper with my daughter, discussing the shapes and colours, but all too quickly I took them for granted. I noticed the frost on the grass the first morning as my socks became wet and my toes cold but by the next morning I no longer cared. I complained about the cold and wet and the washing never drying instead of being thankful for the wonders of nature and all it was offering. We become far too consumed within ourselves and our needs and wants and forget to thank nature.

  As we left Mt Gambier I made a mental note to take time at least once a day to look around and notice the small detail. To embrace the weather for what it offers. To stop complaining about the cold because in the not too distant future I will be complaining about the hot. I reminded myself that all I need do is  put on an extra layer of clothes and throw an extra blanket on the bed. So what if my van has wet washing hanging in every space possible, it will dry eventually, as when the warmer weather hits we will be thankful for every drop of rain winter brought.

 As I type this I sit in my tent with the steam rising from my mouth as I breath out. It is 2 degrees but I sit and embrace the coolness. I have a beanie on,gloves,plenty of blankets and a drink of warm milk – more than some have. I am not homeless or in need, instead I am thankful. Thankful for the love of my children, the shelter of my tent and the freedom of my life. Thankful for the possums outside my tent who keep me up all night and the wallabies in the paddock next door. Thankful for the sounds of life around me and for the stillness of the night, and thankful for the sun that will shine in the morning and glisten on the dew.

  I have vowed to appreciate this land for all that it gives, big, small, living and non living.As I use my senses to their full potential I will continue to be thankful for all that is offered and thankful for the chance to be part of it. It is amazing what you really see when you look.

Jennifer Deaves



2 comments:

  1. I love that photo, it's brilliant.

    I can see what you mean. I recently stepped out and over to the natural creek that runs near our house and noticed all the little wild flowers blooming, the birds coming down for a swim, the blue sky and clouds floating along. I'm so grateful I did because it gave me an inner peace that I didn't have before. It really made me think "wow, all this is right near me and I just forgot all about it".

    I think the "daily grind" would be so much less of a grind if we could all just take a few moments each day to connect with nature. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it only takes a minute!

    We are currently at Cobdogla Station Caravan Park in SA. Every afternoon we 'take a minute' to go and feed the animals and visit the lake where we sit on the jetty and watch the water birds as the sun goes down. Every evening we rest peacefully. Sure makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete